Let me answer my own posting here.

Tomcat 5.5.17 changed code with respect to deploy command. But
documentation did not reflect it.

Deploy works if the url specified

a. With jar prefix removed

b. default path added at the end

http://localhost:8080/manager/deploy?
        config=file:/path/context.xml&war=file:/path/bar.war&path=/bar

Can you please fix the documentation please?

-Venky