whats wrong with separating resources for independent applications?
Leon

On 8/16/06, Jon Yeargers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi. I have a series of tomcat based apps that all use a single .jar to
do some common admin tasks like sending mail and connecting to a DB. The
.jar file uses the Tomcat/JNDI connection pooling to save overhead
(supposedly).

In the other apps (that use the above .jar) I have both servlets and
session beans. Im trying to minimize memory use by putting the creation
of the .jar classes into a base class and declaring it 'static'. Ill
then (re)base my servlets and beans on these two base classes.

Something about this is striking me as wrong.

It seems like I will be getting an instance of my 'support' jar for each
session. Which means each one will have its own connection pool. So if
there are 4 web apps being used, with 5 users I will end up with 20
instances of the connection pool.

Surely there is a better way.. yes? no? maybe??