The host appbase attribute specifies the directory where the wars (exploded or left intact) are stored and is not a documentroot in the apache httpd sense. The latter would be the ROOT.war webapp to which root relative paths unmatched by any other war prefix resolve.

Distribution of object instances across multiple contexts belongs to the J2EE container problem space (JBoss, WebSphere, Geronimo, JonAS, etc...) while Tomcat is a web container (a component of J2EE). You could dump some singletons in the shared classloader (classes loaded from the "shared" library path) but then you must be careful about reference counting in these classes or you'll have leaks (in the sense that references aren't really released and the gc won't reclaim the objects) and eventually eat all the jvm memory; suggestion: use lifecycle listeners in the webapp.

You could set the crossContext attribute to "true" and do as in http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa? threadID=580846&messageID=2956369 but not unless you have total control on the server and you can still do forwards in struts without relaxing webapp isolation.

Ciao,