Shankar Unni wrote:

Raju Balugu wrote:

So,On which basis it will load that?(For example Alphabetical ..etc)

What MarkT said.

Tomcat will load the webapps in whatever order it gets them from File.listFiles() (which is *not* guaranteed alphabetical!), and then during shutdown, it unloads them in some internal hashtable values() order.

Short answer: you cannot rely on any order during startup *or* shutdown. In particular, shutdown order != reverse(startup order).

Longer answer: if you want a **non-portable** solution that guarantees order, you have to write your own wrapper around the Embedded class and write the deployment routine yourself. That's what I have done for our product which uses an embedded Tomcat to bring up a collection of webapps.

And of course in a normal production environment it's perfectly reasonable for a singular webapp to be shutdown and restarted via the manager webapp while everything else continues. Best practice is to provide a means of handling the case where the other webapp isn't available even on a temporary basis.

--David