Ok,

I admit I was a bit fast going to the mailing list and I should of
done more research.

Yes you are right, I am trying not to serve resources again if they
havent changed. From what I have read I need to set the Last-Modified
header on the HttpServletResponse. The client will then send a
If-Modified-Since request header the next time it needs that resource.
I can then send HTTP Error 304 - Not modified, in return and all will
be well.

Again, thanks for your help.

Ben

On 9/5/06, Markus Schönhaber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
ben short wrote:
> Im using Tomcat 5.5.17. I assumed that my browser would send the
> If-Modified-Since Request-Header and have tried your jsp page and it
> does.

OK, this shows three things:
1. It's much less helpful to assume things than to find out for sure. If
you're interested in the exact request your browser generates, there are a
couple of ways get that information. For example: the LiveHTTPHeaders
extension for firefox, something similar for IE, tools like Wireshark (The
Application Formerly Known As Ethereal), the HTTP monitors NetBeans and the
WTP for eclipse provide.
2. The JSP I posted causes Firefox and IE to send If-Modified-Since headers on
the second request.
3. The answer to your original question "How do I access the If-Modified-Since
header field" is "like you would do for any other header field".

OTOH, from what you write about your servlet, I get the impression that your
real problem is the following: "How do I avoid to serve ressources again
which haven't changed since the last time the client accessed them?".
If you want to decide whether or not the client has already requested the
actual version of the ressource by using the If-Modified-Since header field,
you'll have to find out what causes the clients to send such a header in the
first place. RFC 2616 might provide some hints.

Regards
  mks