Rhodri,

While this does specifically address your question, you might try downloading our software, Qilan. Qilan is designed for OS X. Our installer includes Tomcat (v5.5.7) and does all the configuration. Although we would like for you to try out Qilan, it is not necessary for you to run Tomcat with your own webapps.

The download can be obtained at http://cgs.qilan.com:8080/qilan/ Qilanv3Download

Stephen Caine
CommonGround Softworks, Inc.

I've recently installed Tomcat 5.0.25 on my Mac OS X (10.4), and have used it successfully with servlets (using Java 1.5). I am currently trying to run a simple JSP example, but get the following error message:

No Java compiler was found to compile the generated source for the JSP. This can usually be solved by copying manually $JAVA_HOME/lib/ tools.jar from the JDK to the common/lib directory of the Tomcat server, followed by a Tomcat restart.

Upon searching the web (and my OS) it appears that OS X does not include a tools.jar file, as all classes are in the classes.jar file. I have tried commenting out the references to the tools.jar from the catalina.xml file and the setclasspath.sh file, and have even tried renaming a copy of the classes file to tools.jar, and putting it in the common/lib directory - all to no avail.

Is there a workaround for this issue? (Incidentally, I found no references to OS X or tools.jar on the Apache site).

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rhodri