Greg Johnson wrote:

If I put Apache in front of Tomcat, can I run Tomcat on port 8080, yet have
Apache serve the content on port 80?

My production web server is currently running standalone Tomcat on Linux. I
chose to use jsvc to serve the content on port 80.
For the most part, jsvc works, but it has a few problems. Occasionally Tomcat
won't stop when I shut it down. (I have to resort to killing the process by
hand.) It doesn't happen often...but often enough to bug me.
Also, using jsvc makes it so that I can't deploy web apps via ant. Can't figure
out my way around that.

So, is Apache in front of Tomcat my solution? (I'd like to get rid of jsvc and
also be able to deploy via ant.)

If the "right answer for me" is to use both Tomcat and Apache, do I need to
reconfigure my SSL certificates with Apache, or can I leave them with Tomcat?

I doubt putting up Apache HTTPd in front of Tomcat will solve anything here. jsvc is not httpd lite. It's the binary code used to launch tomcat as a service under a user other than root. Think if it as a binary executeable catalina.sh. Let's take a look at the issues you are seeing:

Tomcat won't shutdown. This can mean your code or a third party library has spawned a thread and hasn't taken the proper provisions to shut it down when tomcat stops. Threads spawned by web applications are the responsibility of the web app to stop when the app is stopped. If you wrote the code, a ServletContextListener can help manage these threads.

JSVC = can't deploy using ant. This could be a permissions issue. Does the user tomcat is running under have permission to write on the webapps directory?

--David