Hi all,

I tested several tomcat versions (TC5.5.7->TC5.5.17) and, when deploying my
webapps, I don't see the same behaviour in these versions for the ROOT contexts.
The tomcat versions >= TC5.5.12 don't have the same behaviour and I don't know
if it is a bug or not

So, can anybody can say to me if it is a bug or what are the correct parameters
for my needs ?

My tests :
In my needs, on production environments, I want to deploy my webapp on a Host
under the path / .
I use external Context files and I'd want the manager (or deployer) to unpack
automatically my war.

1) To deploy myWebApp.war for tests on http://myvhost/mywebapp/, I succeed with
:

Host parameter :
        unpackWARS=true
        autodeploy=true
        deployOnStartup=true
        deployXML=true
        appBase=/usr2/web/myhost        (for example)
Context Parameters :
        path=/myWebApp
        docBase=/usr2/web/myhost/myWebApp

All is OK for TC 5.5.7 -> TC 5-5-17:
        myWebApp.xml copied in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[Engine]/myvhost/,
        myWebApp.war copied in /usr2/web/myhost         (=Host.appBase)
        myWebApp.war unpacked under /usr2/web/myhost/myWebApp,
        tests OK

2) To deploy ROOT.war for tests on http://myvhost/, I succeed with :

2.1) For TC 5.5.7 -> 5.5.9 :
Host parameters :
        unpackWARS=true
        autodeploy=true
        deployOnStartup=true
        deployXML=true
        appBase=/usr2/web/myhost        (for example)
Context Parameters :
        path=""
        docBase=/usr2/web/myhost/ROOT.war

All is OK :
        ROOT.xml copied in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[Engine]/myvhost/,
        ROOT.war copied in /usr2/web/myhost             (=Host.appBase)
        ROOT.war unpacked under /usr2/web/myhost/ROOT,
        tests OK

2.2) For TC 5.5.12 -> 5.5.17 :
Host parameters :
        unpackWARS=false
        autodeploy=false
        deployOnStartup=true
        deployXML=false
        appBase=/usr2/web/myhost        (for example)
Context Parameters :
        path=""
        docBase=/usr2/web/myhost/ROOT.war

OK for :
        ROOT.xml copied in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[Engine]/myhost/,
        ROOT.war copied /usr2/web/myhost                (=Host.appBase)
        ROOT.war unpacked under /usr2/web/myhost/ROOT,  (even if my unpack
parameter is false, but I prefer like this :)
BUT :
        exceptions (stack traces) in tomcat logs when deploying !!!
        tests OK but I can't use getServletContext().getRealPath(...)