From: Gormley, Josh
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 12:08 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: undeploy doesn't completely remove classes from memory

Hello,

I've got a problem with several of the Struts apps that I'm deploying to

Tomcat 5.5.17.  If I redeploy the app by dropping in a new war file, I

almost always have to restart tomcat in order to see the updated classes

take affect.  I've read that this could be caused by threads being left

open and not garbage collected properly or by using Singletons, or

several other things, but I'm having a hard time tracking down the root

of the problem.

What's the best way to get to the root of this problem?  Are there any

known issues with Struts, Hibernate, SQLjdbc that could be causing this?

I've tried JProfiler, but I'm having a hard time seeing orphaned object

instances after an undeploy.  I would much appreciate any suggestions

that you might have.

Thanks,

Josh Gormley

Server config:

Redhat

Tomcat 5.5.17

JRE 1.4.2 with the necessary classes to allow it to work with Tomcat 5.5

App info

Struts

Hibernate

SQLjdbc