This has been discussed quite a lot on mailing list. Lots of things can
generate memory leaks in webapp environment. Amongst others:
- not nullifying threadlocal variable.
- use of singleton pattern
- some bugged versions of CGlib

take a look at older messages in this mailing list
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&w=2&r=1&s=permgen&q=b