Chuck,
 Thank you for your quick response.  I have looked at the section 12
specifically 12.3 and 12.4 but I must be missing something.  I don't
understand how the <security-role> tag is use full when you are
already restricting a resource through the <auth-constraint>.  Is this
meant simply to give a less abstract name to a role?  For example if
the user role in the OID that I am interested in is named
102934756.Portal.User then I can map that to a simpler name like
Portal.

 Also is there another way to pragmatically restrict other than
isUserInRole().  I don't get how I am not being authorized when there
doesn't seem to be any code in place to check this?