What you're seeing is normal servlet/JSP processing.  After you restart
Tomcat, the classloader has to load the servlet/JSP.  Once it has done
this, the servlet/JSP is cached so it doesn't need to be reloaded.  The
JSP files shouldn't be compiled again unless they change.  The server
should check the last-modified time on the JSP when it receives a
request, and compare that to the creation time of the compiled class,
and recompile if necessary.

If you can (depending on how complex your application is), you might
want to create a small script to access every page in your application,
then run that as the last step in your Tomcat startup script.  It
doesn't matter if the page is accessed "correctly" (i.e., passed any
parameters it needs), it'll still be loaded and cached.

---
Tracy Nelson / Nelnet Business Solutions
402 / 617-9449