> But as Mark's loggers are 'static', don't they have the same
> semantics WRT serialization as 'instance transient' ?

Should be. After deserialization, all static fields should be (re-)initialized,
thus, leading to logger being present, class-wide.

> If so, Mark's would seem more efficient to me (though I could be
> wrong) due to reduced object instantiations.

Static avoids one "if" per method call.

Indeed, singleton design pattern seams much more efficient with static
initialization, than "if (singleton == null) { init() }" pattern.

Nix.