What is giving you this error?  Is this from the browser, or something
from a startup script?

Check your services (Control Panel->Administrative tools->Services), and
make sure the Tomcat service has started.  If it hasn't go ahead and
start it from the Services control panel.  You shouldn't need to run
anything from the command line to start or use Tomcat.

If it's failing to start, check the Catalina and Jakarta_service log
files under $INSTALLDIR\logs.

You're trying to connect to "http://localhost:8080/";, right?  I remember
spending a good ten minutes once after I fumble-fingered the URL to port
808, trying to figure out why Tomcat wasn't responding. ;)

---
Tracy Nelson / Nelnet Business Solutions
402 / 617-9449