There are new drivers for SQL2005 here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/ref/jdbc/
In the package there are some samples applications and detailed instructions.

Connection string should like:

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost:1433; databaseName=AdventureWorks;user=UserName;password=*****

But if you have multiple sql server instances, should  be  like:

jdbc:sqlserver://yourHost;instanceName=instance_name;databaseName=YourDB;user=sa;password=passwd

Further, u should allow remote TCP/IP connections in SQL Server Surface Area Configuration.

I tested only with Tomcat5 (not 4).

Piero

Dan Decker ha scritto:
Currently my Tomcat 4.1 application works with MS SQL2000.  I have not
been able to connect with MS SQL2005 by copying sqljdbc.jar to the lib
folder & setting JDBC Driver Class to
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver.  How can I get Tomcat4.1
to connect to MS SQL2005?
Dan Decker