From: Rizwan Merchant [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 7:41 AM
To: tomcat
Subject: tomcat memory usage questions

Hi,
We recently developed and deployed a web based application using the following technologies...

Struts
Spring
Hibernate 3.0
Mysql 5.0
tomcat 5.5
Linux Fedora Core 4

After the system went live, I have been monitoring the CPU and memory usages. I dread the outOfMemory errors and am a little paranoid about it.

There are 2 main processes I am monitoring, tomcat and mysqld.
The tomcat process memory usage is slowly creeping up...after 8 hours of application usage it is at 13.3% and the mysqld memory usage is at 1.3%.

I am wondering what kind of pattern I should be observing for the memory usages. Should it go up and then down again (like the CPU usage)? Or is it ok for it to slowly go up (the way it is doing right now)? The swap memory is not being used, so I am guessing thats a good thing.

Also, someone told me that hibernate and spring will try and cache everything it can, which could be the cause of the memory creeping up slowly. Is this true? and if it is, will this be a problem when the memory gets to a high number like 80 or 90% ?

Also, is there a way to tell if there are any processes spawned by tomcat that are hanging around uselessly?

Any help, ideas, tips would be appreciated. I am just concerned about having any memory issues with this LIVE application.

Thanks,
-Riz.

<http://forum.springframework.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=79473>