So every once in a while when you make a request to the server you won't
get anything back and the log will show that one of the filters
complained that response is already committed. So I restarted tomcat
with the jpda debugger on, fired up my debugger in eclipse, and set a
breakpoint at the place in the filter where this message is printed.

My app has 2 filters right now and the breakpoint is in the second
filter. So when I hit the breakpoint I went down in the stack trace to
the point at which tomcat calls doFilter on the first filter in the
filter chain. At that point is the stack, response.isCommitted()
evaluates to 'true'(!?). Exploring the objects the response shows that
the headers written so far are:

Transfer-Encoding = chunked
Date = Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:33:33 GMT

and contentLength == -1.

Why would the response be committed before even getting to any of the
code in my application? Even suggestions on what to investigate further
would be help at this point. Thanks in advance.

--
Dan Adams
Senior Software Engineer