You can have conditional access logging.
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/catalina/valves/AccessLogValve.html

condition='foo'

If set the Valve will look in the ServletRequest for an attribute called foo. If it exists then the request is logged. (Of course you can substitute any name for foo)

-Tim

Frank Niedermann wrote:
Unfortunately I have to use Windows Server 2003 as the company behind the
application we're using is not supporting UNIX/Linux.

Windows also has performance utilities but they tell me that the server
isn't heavily loaded at all.

A good think would be to have a smaller access log just for statistics, like
only one line per user access and not every file which transferred to the
user (html, images, js and so on) ...