Dan,

> Our two choices are evidently "IP-based" and "cookie-based".
> Currently, we're using "IP-based", so every IP address is treated as
> a separate request.  I'm looking into making it cookie-based, and
> making cookies a requirement for the site (currently, we only use
> cookies to store a couple of simple preferences).  Any idea how many
> people have cookies turned off?

I have no idea, but I always try hard to make it work for just about
everyone. My current project even works in lynx. ;)

Does the lb have any capabilities to use other hints when the cookie is
not available? For example, Tomcat will use ";jsessionid=[A-Z0-9]+" in
the URL to identify the session for clients who are not using cookies.

> I actually considered [treating AOLers specially], although it seems
> a bit of an extreme solution.

Yeah, it kinda sucks, especially when you have to have this weirdo
config on a separate server (or cluster of servers).

> Incidentally, who creates the sessionID?

Tomcat creates the session id.

> Maybe if I could make sure it only authenticates the sessionID
> against the first three numbers in the IP address...

I think you're playing with fire, there. Besides, what would you change
to make this work, here?

-chris