Hi mark, not at all

1) there are 20 results for Djavax.servlet.request.encoding in google ^^
(but am really not sure this parameter really exists in tomcat)
2) URIEncoding="UTF-8" set the encoding used for html link, the default
is platform dependent.

I "suppose" the Zis wanted to set the default character encoding of the
request parameter, which is the most problematic part of http client
server, as client is suppose to tell it to server, but they most of the
time omit it. The only way i know to solve it is to write a small
servlet filter that issue a request.setEncoding("UTF-8")

btw Zis, your catalina not starting is because you need to replace your line

JAVA_OPTS=-Djavax.servlet.request.encoding=UTF-8 -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

to the following

JAVA_OPTS="-Djavax.servlet.request.encoding=UTF-8 -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8"

(notice the little " , it's not a tomcat problem, it's a shell rule :) )

this is even better:

JAVA_OPTS="-Djavax.servlet.request.encoding=UTF-8 -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
${JAVA_OPTS}"

regards