If you have 1000 connections then you would be well advised to use connection
pooling
more specifically you need to separate the activities of
settingup a connection from
getting the connection

you also need to separate the activities of
freeing the connection from
connection teardown

connection setup and teardown are expensive operations and should be used
judiciously
continous connection setup and teardown will not only bog down the app but slow
the DB as it furiously tries to keep up with these resource requests

A vert good primer for setting up connection pools is available at
http://www.webdevelopersjournal.com/columns/connection_pool.html

A word on SEH
for non oo single threaded environments you may swallow the exception if you
have deemed the execution of the statement as optional
If the statement is required then I would always raise a meaningful exception
and not swallow it

If you have a OO env such as Java you should raise the exception and handle it
by the outermost handler in a structured way (definition of SEH)
as an aside I usually pass error_code and description

Feel free to Contact me offline for particulars of how to implement,
M-