I think you are going to have to get a profiler going to diagnose this. See where the JVM is spending it's time when the CPU goes high like this. Also try using the logs to see if it's coincident on specific requests or other events in tomcat.

--David

Pascal Alberty wrote:

Any other idea ?

Thanks

On 10/13/06, Pascal Alberty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 10/12/06, Caldarale, Charles R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Pascal Alberty
> > Subject: CPU level is not coming back to a normal level
> >
> > When I'm testing the new servlet on my dev box, all is ok. When i'm
> > running the same servlet on the prod box, Tomcat is reaching almost 2
> > x 100% CPUs for about 4 to 7 seconds.
>
> Does this period coincide with garbage collection?  (Although 4 - 7
> seconds is rather long for a GC.)  Have you tried using a profiler to
> see where the threads are spending their time?

First, thanks for your quick answer.

I have set up GC information. While XHTML rendering, there is one Full
GC which spent 0.2 sec. All other GC operations are taking less then
0.01 sec which seems "normal".

When dumping the JVM through a kill -3, I can see threads working on
sockets talking to apache.

> > how can I ask Tomcat to kill these non working threads ?
>
> What do you have maxSpareThreads for each of your connectors set to?
> Look here for the HTTP connector doc:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/http.html

I'm not using this one

> or here for AJP:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/ajp.html

maxProcessors is 256 (same as Apache maxclients)
maxSpareThreads is not set because it's a tomcat-5.5 parameter and i'm
using tomcat 5.0

Thanks again

--
Pascal Alberty