Thanks for the replies.

Using the protocol="my.Class" does help me give my own implementation of the
ProtocolHandler for the Connector.
The className attribute would have helped me specify my own implementation
of the Connector itself.

Removal of the className attribute means that I can no longer extend the
Connector and override methods. :=(

Thanks,
Jacob