On Oct 18, 2006, at 11:42 AM, Steve Ochani wrote:

You need to use sun's jdk only, try uninstalling gnu java alltogether and make sure you
have sun's jdk (not just jre) installed.

That did it! Thanks!

Perhaps the Linux docs could be updated to reflect Sun's default JDK directory of ' /opt/SUNWappserver/jdk/'? I thought '/usr/java', etc... was correct by the way the docs state it. It would have saved me a couple hours of head scratching as it indicates it should have worked as I had it configured.

Per INSTALL.txt:
./configure --with-java=/usr/java

or

  JAVA_HOME=/usr/java
  export JAVA_HOME
  ./configure

or (when using gcj (use fastjar for jar))
  JAVAC=gcj; export JAVAC
  JAVACFLAGS=-c; export JAVACFLAGS
  ./configure

And at apache.org:

./configure --with-java=/usr/java

Which is where the GNU progs are placed, not Sun's JDK. It's just misleading for us Java Newbs - especially when everyone likes to tell us to RTFM :-)

Huge thanks, though!! I'm up and running....
-d