Chuck,

>> Without some really nasty code, Tomcat is unable to do the same
>> thing, so we're forced to do silly things like internal port
>> forwarding, etc.
>
> Didn't realize that jsvc was considerd "really nasty", since I suspect
> it's doing the exact same thing httpd is at startup.

I've never used jsvc. It took me a while, but I finally found
documentation that jsvc actually allows privileged port numbers
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html, search for 'jsvc').

The documentation for jsvc itself does not indicate that it can do
anything like that. Apparently, Tomcat supports a specialized interface
for jsvc that allows for this kind of thing.

So, I suppose the answer to this guy's question is, "why are you trying
to fiddle with iptables when you could use jsvc?"

Oh, and I retract my statement about using Apache httpd to front Tomcat.
I still have other reasons ;)

-chris