Hi chris,

I think your suggestion about multiple windows was a good guess. It
would account for all the behavior, except that I'm quite sure I wasn't
using a different window. I mean, the web app responds with a page that
refreshes itself after a set, short amount of time, presenting a
progress bar each time, but also presenting a form with
cancel/switch-to-batch-mode buttons. I really don't think I could have
started the app & refreshing in one window and then selected some other
window (from some previous session) to choose cancel. I run the app, and
as soon as I can I click cancel.

Regarding your other suggestions:

No, no HTTPS-to-HTTP stuff; all requests are going to a port dedicated
to Tomcat (8088).

And the Firefox cookies options form is set so that cookies are kept
"until they expire" which I believe is the default (the other options
being "until I close Firefox" and "ask me every time").

Any further thoughts always appreciated,

-M