On 23.10.2006, at 23:09, Mikolaj Rydzewski wrote:
Dan Baumann wrote:
Interesting. How does your webapp compare to MX4J's http adapter (mx4j.sf.net)?

I didn't try hard, but I was unable to run mx4j and its http adapter. So it's hard to compare with it.

http://mx4j.sourceforge.net/docs/ch05.html
It seems that this adapter runs its own, very simple, http server. One has to write a code to start it. Am I right?

That's correct, and it's the one thing I don't like about MX4J, since it requires an additional port to be opened in the firewall.

The rest is pretty slick though: MX4J defines a set of commands that can be invoked via http, and results are served as XML. The HTML frontend is actually just a XSLT stylesheet that post-processes the XML result, and you can register custom XSLT stylesheets easily.

Insofar, MX4J's http adapter is not only a HTML frontend, but can also be used for integration very well (where other apps consume the XML, e.g. for monitoring).

So comparing to above, my app is much easier to run. Just deploy war file. It is 'just' a presentation (struts/jsp) layer over plain javax.management API. But sure, I could consider using mx4j to enhance it.

Granted, deploying a war file is dead simple. Personally, I'm using a simple spring-based webapp just to start up the MX4J http adapter (on a different port).

My preferred solution would be MX4J behind a servlet, so I could get rid of using the extra port. I've looked at the MX4J sources shortly, but it seems quite a bit of work. Another option would be a proxy servlet which talks to MX4J's web server internally, but could be accessed through the standard Tomcat port.

Cheers,
Dan