Dear all,

I have configured my Tomcat 5.5.17 to require SSL client authentication. For this purpose, I have stored my root CA certificate into a PKCS12 keystore which I use as truststoreFile by configuring server.xml. This CA certificate is used to sign user certificates that I want to be trusted.

The problem I have is the following:
- truststoreFile (PKCS12) contains root CA certificate + private key -> everything works perfectly. - truststoreFile (PKCS12) contains root CA certificate -> clients cannot connect.

truststoreFile should not contain private keys, so why does Tomcat behave in this way?

Thanks in advance.