Thank you very much for your response.

By "field defect" I mean a bug in the Bug Database.

I was wondering if you think predictions at the time of release of the
number of field defects in each month after release can help:
-allocate resources, such as having enough people available to fix problems
-adjust the deployment date, like pushing back the release, or
-identify possible ways of improving the process, assuming that the
predictions are made using software metrics, such as the number of changes
to the code

Thanks
Paul