On 27/10/06, Caldarale, Charles R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The 5.0 and 5.5 docs are mild upgrades of the 4.1 versions, and some
areas did not get revised as much as they should have.  5.5 especially
seems to be stricter on use of unnecessary attributes when the <Context>
element is not in server.xml; what I posted has been gleaned from
experience.

Thanks ;-)

For compatibility, you can still place <Context> elements in server.xml,
but it's strongly discouraged, since it requires a Tomcat restart to
make any changes.

> So how *should* I do what I want, i.e. deploy the app in a directory
> called meshcms under webapps, or am I forced to name it ROOT if I want
> it to be the default application?

The current philosophy is that the default app must be named ROOT.

Ah, that's not entirely clear from the docs.  I can live with that, my
initianl assumption (wrong) was that the name didn't actually matter.

There are three ways to achieve this:

1) Deploy the app in the ROOT subdirectory of the <Host>'s appBase
directory, removing any ROOT.war file if it exists.

2) Deploy the packaged app as ROOT.war in the <Host>'s appBase
directory, removing the ROOT subdirectory if it exists.

3) Deploy the app outside of the <Host>'s appBase directory, and place a
ROOT.xml file in conf/[engine]/[host].  The ROOT.xml file must contain a
<Context> element with a docBase attribute pointing to the location of
the app.

Note that in the first two cases, you often do not need any <Context>
element for the app.  If you do require one (e.g., to configure the app
as privileged), place the element and attributes in META-INF/context.xml
inside the app directory structure.  Alternatively, you may place the
<Context> element in conf/[engine]/[host]/[appname].xml, but without the
docBase attribute.

If you place a <Context> element with a docBase attribute in
conf/[engine]/[host]/[somefile].xml and put the app under the <Host>'s
appBase directory using a name other than [somefile], you will get the
app deployed twice - once as the .xml file name, once as the
subdirectory or .war file name under appBase.

That's an excellent, clear, summary - I haven't been able to find
anything else that explains the three cases you outline above.
Hopefully it might make its way into the official documentation at
some point ;-)

Many thanks!

--
Alan Burlison