Dear All,

  I'm very new to Linux Fedora and not quite familiar to the commands. I'm
using Fedora Core 2.6.9-1.667. I've already installed j2sdk1.4.2_10 and
jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31 on my computer. Unfortunately, when I tried to execute
Tomcat in the bin directory by typing ./startup.sh the following message
appeared:

  The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined
  This environment variable is needed to run this program

  I've used the vi .bash_profile command to set the PATH, JAVA_HOME and
CATALINA_HOME as follows:

  # .bash_profile
  .
  .
  .

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin;/j2sdk1.4.2_10/bin;/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/common/lib/servlet.jar
  JAVA_HOME=/j2sdk1.4.2_10
  CATALINA_HOME=/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31
  .
  .
  .
  I tried to run a java program using javac and it worked, though I'm not sure
how to modify the system PATH variable. I tried to type echo $PATH but did not
find the system PATH variable. Are my steps correct? Did I miss anything?

  Can anyone please explain to me in the most simple way how to solve the
problem? To those who have already made Tomcat run on Linux Fedora, please help
me! Waiting to hear from you soon. Thank you.

  Yours Sincerely,
  TEH