Hi Gary,

from my understanding of the code mod_proxy(_balancer) at the moment is
not able to do that. There are status settings "disable" and "stopped"
one can set, but at the moment disbled and stopped behave the same. I
didn't really try, but I derive that from looking at the code. This
holds true for version 2.2.3, the head of branch 2.2 and trunk as well.

I remember some mail on httpd-dev, that this is known and will be corrected.

The module mod_jk also has the concept of disable and stop. For mod_jk
disable means, that requests with sessions on a disabled target still
get routed there, but requests without a session do not get routed to a
disabled target. So if your sessions are relatively short, you can
considerably decrease the number of remaining sessions on a target by
disabling it some time before your maintenance.

I'm sure, this behaviour will come to mod_proxy too, but it looks like
it's not there yet. Anybody: please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are going to use mod_jk, please get the latest release 1.2.19.
It's important to know, that mod_jk can only handle ajp backends.

Regards