hello markus,
As i said in my previous mail i had tried out all the option mensioned in
the tomcat page. Even then Tomcat is not supporting SSI
to overcome this problem we had changed that servlet in to jsp page, now its
running fine.

bye with regards
prakash

On 11/14/06, Markus Schönhaber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

prakash shanmugam wrote:
> In my project I need to use Server Side Includes. I just want to know
the
> details how to make that server side includes to work properly which is
> constructed as  ". Shtml file " .  I am using tomcat5 .
>
> I have done the following things.
>
> 1)     included servlet tags in html file wherever necessary and saved
it
> as .shtml file.
>
> 2)     Then in conf/web.xml file I have uncommented the tags related to
SSI
> mapping
>
> 3)     Then renamed server/lib/servlet-ssirenametojar file as
> server-ssi.jar .
>
> But the servlet code included in the servlet tag is not at all called
and
> executed.
> Can u help me to solve this problem

SSI and Servlets are completely different things. When a HTML file is
handled
by the SSI mechanism no "servlet tag" (whatever that means) or Java code
will
be executed. Read this
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/ssi-howto.html
or this
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/ssi.html
to find out how SSI work.

If you want to embed Java code into HTML, use JSP.

Regards
mks