Is it possible to trick an application into believing that it is the ROOT application (i.e. getContextPath returns ""), even when it isn't?

The reason for this is that managing virtual hosts with Tomcat can be a bit cumbersome, and some management applications won't work in such a setup.

The requests in our setup all pass through Apache, so I would prefer to just tell mod_proxy to serve content from specific subdirectories on the Tomcat server rather than having to duplicate the entire virtual host configuration. The only problem with this is that generated links are broken as the point to /subdir/* instead of /*.

Suggestions?