I just like to point you the usual / standard use of J2EE authentication in
a web tier !

http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

With restricted resources define in web.xml
Login page (FORM)
And a defined realm in context.xml (or server.xml)

No more ...

PS: I don't think it really smart to GET login & password in (clear) URL ;-)

On 11/22/06, Santosh Puranshettiwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

olivier nouguier wrote:
Thanks.
> Hi
> The "natural" *post* should be
> http://localhost/realm-test
>>
>> /j_security_check?j_username=foo&j_password=bar

Let me make sure I got it right.

So you mean the request should be something like this: -
http://localhost/realm-test?j_security_check
(method=POST)
message body: -
j_username=foo&j_password=bar

So appending a 'j_' will do the job?

Also, in your case 'j_security_check' is the resource.
But in my case, *'RealmTestServetlet'* is the resource.
> And should be OK.
>
> What are your need ?
Till now, my authentication code used to be in the application layer.
But now, I wish to offload the task to my container (Tomcat) without any
changes to the
application protocol; which is to send username and password as _plain
key-value pairs_ in
the request URL.

http://localhost/realm-test/RealmTestServetlet?username=foo&password=bar

>> The Realm must authenticate with 'foo' & 'bar'.
>>
>> --
>> Santosh.

Santosh.