I looked at the profiler and it appears that there are many timer threads left hanging. I have not set up a data source for Tomcat or any connection pooling. I am opening a connection to the database directly with the following code. Could this be causing my problem?

thanks again, Dan

 public M5Connection(String DBHost, String DBName, String DBUsername,
                     String DBPassword) throws SQLException {
   //setup the DB connectivity paramters
   DATABASE_HOST = DBHost;
   DATABASE_NAME = DBName;
   DATABASE_USERNAME = DBUsername;
   DATABASE_PASSWORD = DBPassword;

   loadDBDriver(); //load the JDBC driver class into memory at runtime
   connect(); //connect to the database using the above driver

 } // constructor

 public Connection getConnection() {
   return conn;
 }

 //used to load the DB Driver into memory at runtime
 private void loadDBDriver() {
   // The newInstance() call is a work around for some
   // mm.MySQL implementations
   try {
     Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver").newInstance();
     System.out.println("Driver instantiated"); //debug
   }
   catch (Exception E) {
     System.err.println("Unable to load driver.");
     E.printStackTrace();
   }
 }

 //connects to a database
 private void connect() throws SQLException {
conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://" + DATABASE_HOST + "/" +
                                      DATABASE_NAME + "?user=" +
                                      DATABASE_USERNAME + "&password=" +
                                      DATABASE_PASSWORD);
   System.out.println("Connection made"); //debug

 }

From: Daniel L. Gross [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: Memory Usage

What appears to be happening is that every time I execute my app, when it closes, Tomcat leaves an
inactive thread hanging.

I seriously doubt that Tomcat is doing this - much more likely that your
app is causing it, or possibly the DB driver.  Does the app create any
auxiliary threads and not have them terminate?  If that's not the case,
and threads from Tomcat's pool were not returning to it after processing
a request for your app, you'd run out of threads pretty quickly.  What
does a thread dump show about where these hanging threads are hanging
out?

- Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.