Yes, apache has an easy way of building additional modules, once you
have build your apache. It uses a little perl script named apxs in
apache's bin directory. mod_jk uses the same procedure.

Things get difficult, if you get apache as a binary distribution and
later try to use apxs to build. Then your tool chain needs to be
compatible, with the tool chain of your binary distribution.

That's why it is more stable to actually compile by yourself and to not
use the prepared mod_jk binaries.

If you decide to combine binary apache and binary mod_jk from different
sources, it might work, but nobody would be surprised, if this fatally
breaks.

Regards,

Rainer