Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
That's not true. A session id is assigned the moment you hit the site.

That contradicts what Len said about his site:

"On my site (as on many others) you can browse the site without a
session, but if you want to log in (to add content or to use
personalized settings) you need a session."
I can't believe you don't get it ;-) One can browse the site without a session (read: not using a session already provided by the container), but after login you simply start using a session (i.e. to store user context object).
And it's certainly not true that Tomcat automatically creates a
sessionid for every connection.  Creating one is up to the webapps of
interest.
Probably. Filter with wrapper ServletResponse is IMO the best solution. You can apply it to almost every application without touching the code.

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        http://ceti.pl/~miki/
                   PGP KeyID: 8b12ab02