> From: Jamie Krasnoo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Help me understand Tomcat configuration
>
> I've looked through the documentation but I can't seem
> to get Containers. Why its called a container and its
> relation to the server and how it runs.

Practically speaking, the server is the container.  The terminology
comes from the Servlet spec, which you should become familiar with.
Download it from Sun:
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/mrel/jsr154/index.html

Note that the Tomcat doc intentionally does not duplicate the
information in the Servlet spec.

> How it differs from Apache.

Apache is a software development organization, and Tomcat is one of its
many products.  Perhaps you meant httpd, which is Apache's non-Java,
non-Servlet/JSP web server, and the first widely used Apache product.

Tomcat works fine stand-alone and does support multiple virtual hosts;
you only really need to front end it with httpd if you're doing
something esoteric like load balancing across multiple Tomcat
installations or utilizing something Tomcat doesn't readily handle such
as PHP.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.