I doubt there is connection pooling when you use the driver directly. There
is connection pulling if you use java...DataSource I think. If you store the
connection object in session then I suppose you could reuse it. Still using
a DataSource implementation that does connection pooling is better. Check
out the tomcat doc for how to specify a DataSource resource.