Simon-76 wrote:

> Thanks, I could try this, but I was kind of hoping for a more general
> Tomcat
> solution (if there is one). I know Resin has a 'enable-url-rewriting' flag
> that you can set in it's config.
>
> I guess the question still is, does anyone definitively know if jsessionid
> does have negative impact on Google results/rankings? It does seem that
> Google thinks it is a bad idea.
>
> Regards,
> Simon.

I can definitively state that the ;JSESSIONID's have a negative impact on
Google indexing,
and that from Alexa as well.  My server logs clearly show both spiders
getting dozens of copies
of the same content, on the same day, differing only in the session ID's.
One robot
alone (a minor engine) was 12% of my hits due to this issue - it was
overcrawling my site
by a factor of over 100.

Google is well known for penalizing duplicate content.

Google has about 34 million pages indexed with JSESSIONID's in the URL.
Google's crawler
does not parse the ";JSESSIONID", so it creates a new session for each page
of your site
that is indexed.  Turn off URL-rewriting session IDs, unless you have a
compelling reason
to support browsers with disabled cookies.