An even better resource for servlet mapping is the servlet spec. It can be downloaded here:

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr154/index.html

SRV.11 describes mapping requests to servlets and SRV.13.4 describes elements of a web.xml file.

--David

Martin Gainty wrote:
servlet-mapping in web.xml?
an example for cgi located at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

HTH

M-
This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents ----- Original Message ----- From: Rizwan Ahmad To: users@tomcat.apache.org Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 6:00 AM
  Subject: Context problem in tomcat 5.5

  Hi,

  I am new to tomcat. I just installed tomcat 5.5 on my machine having windows XP platform. I am
trying to deploy a war file naming "samena.war" where samena is the context name. When I
startup tomcat it automatically unpacks war file but when I try to access my website using
http://localhost:8080/samena/ it says "The requested resource (/samena/) is not
available."

  I also don't find any context name specified anywhere for
http://localhost:8080/servlets-examples/ provided with the tomcat.

  I am also attaching my web.xml file so that it can help you in suggesting a
solution to me.

  Thanks in advance.

  Rizwan Ahmad