Under Windows XP Home, jre1.5.0, tomcat5.5, Oracle9i, JBuilder9 with jdk 1.4,
StarTeam:

My problem is with tomcat5.5 installed as a Windows service.  It doesn't start.
It logs the message: "This release of Apache Tomcat was packaged to run on J2SE
5.0 or later...".

I interpret that to mean it has not located the jre1.5.0 home.

However, it starts successfully with the startup.bat.

My JRE_HOME environment variable is set to c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0, and
tomcat5.5 starts successfully using startup.bat.  I found by testing and
looking in the batch files that setting JAVA_HOME to the jre home did not work -
 it expects a jdk at the JAVA_HOME location apparently.

The tomcat service was installed using "service.bat -install".

I tried to get the service to start by doing the following:

1. Set JAVA_HOME to point to the jre1.5.0 home.
2. Modifying the service.bat file to explicitly specify --JAVA_HOME parameter
to the jre1.5.0 home.
3. Using "tomcat5 //US// --JAVA_HOME ..." to set the jre1.5.0 home.
4. Searching the registry for JAVA_HOME references that might conflict.
Because I have JBuilder9 installed, there are the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | JavaSoft | Java Development Kit | 1.4 |
JavaHome = "C:\Programs\Jbuilder9\jdk1.4"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|SOFTWARE|JavaSoft|Java Development Kit|1.4.1|JavaHome
= "C:\Programs\Jbuilder9\jdk1.4"

5. Editing the service properties and setting --JAVA_HOME in the startup
parameters, but just guessing at the syntax.

I have run out of ideas.

Does anyone know what might be the problem with running Tomcat5.5 as a service
with jre1.5.0?