"Richard Doust" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Well, it's a complicated report used by a purchaser to generate a
> purchase order based on need for a product dependent on customer  demand.
> It's accessing a LOT of data. That's not to say that I can't  speed it up
> with indexes, or break it up into a request that's passed  off to a server
> process that generates data that it then writes to  the database for later
> retrieval by the client. But it wasn't  designed that way and such a
> change would be substantial. It has  worked for a few years, and what I'm
> looking to do right now is get  around the 5 min. barrier before spending
> more time looking at the  underlying problem and ways to solve it.
> Thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately, you probably won't find anything that works.  The reason is
that it is probably the browser that is giving up and closing the
connection.  With the latest Tomcat/mod_jk, it might be possible if you can
send a few KB of data and flush it to keep the browser from flushing it on
you.  But this still isn't a fix, because if the user is behind a proxy, the
proxy may try and read the entire body (so the browser sees it as taking too
long), or simply time out because the total request is taking too long.