Chuck

Here's the results of java -version

java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.

according to http://gcc.gnu.org/java/

GCJ is a portable, optimizing, ahead-of-time compiler for the Java
Programming Language. It can compile Java source code to Java bytecode
(class files) or directly to native machine code, and Java bytecode to
native machine code.

Compiled applications are linked with the GCJ runtime, libgcj, which
provides the core class libraries, a garbage collector, and a bytecode
interpreter. libgcj can dynamically load and interpret class files,
resulting in mixed compiled/interpreted applications. It has been
merged with GNU Classpath and supports most of the 1.4 libraries plus
some 1.5 additions.

I see no rt.jar under usr/share/java.

contents include (first 4 are directories):

ant
gcj-endorsed
javamail
mx4j

activation.jar
ant.jar
ant-1.6.2.jar
ant-launcher.jar
ant-launcher-1.6.2.jar
bcel.jar
bcel-5.1.jar
catalina-ant-5.0.30.jar
catalina-ant5.jar
commons-beanutils.jar
commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar
commons-collections.jar
commons-collections-3.1.jar
commons-dbcp.jar
commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar
commons-digester.jar
commons-digester-1.6.jar
commons-digester-1.6-rss.jar
commons-digester-rss.jar
commons-el.jar
commons-el-1.0.jar
commons-fileupload.jar
commons-fileupload-1.0.jar
commons-launcher.jar
commons-launcher-0.9.jar
commons-logging.jar
commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
commons-logging-api.jar
commons-logging-api-1.0.4.jar
commons-modeler.jar
commons-modeler-1.1.jar
commons-pool.jar
commons-pool-1.2.jar
commons-validator.jar
commons-validator-1.1.3.jar
com-sun-javadoc-0.7.7.jar
com-sun-tools-doclets-Taglet-0.7.7.jar
cryptix.jar
cryptix-3.2.0.jar
cryptix-asn1.jar
cryptix-asn1-20011119.jar
eclipse-ecj.jar
gnu-classpath-tools-gjdoc-0.7.7.jar
gnu-crypto.jar
gnu-crypto-2.0.1.jar
hibernate_jdbc_cache.jar
jaf.jar
jaf-1.0.2.jar

Does this explain why com.sun.image.codec package is not accessible?