Hi!

> http://localhost:8443 (note the http not the https)
> I am pretty sure that this is NOT valid behaviour.

Why do you think so? I that tomcat will initialise the SSL
negotiation. Client and Server have to exchange the keys. If you do
not tell the browser that it has to do this negotiation (you tell it
that it is a http connection not https!) it just wants to display the
machine readable initialisation of the SSL negotiation.

I tried the same on a Websphere-Server over here and it behaves the
same way as tomcat.

It's pretty valid!

regards

  Martin.