I guess most of us have wondered at one point or another what this
message means:
"INFO: The Apache Tomcat native library which allows optimal  performance
in production environments was not found on
java.library.path"
in the catalina.out log.

Only recently have I spent time trying to figure out the meaning of
this message. This message is logged on Tomcat startup if Tomcat
cannot find the Native library. Tomcat works fine without this
library, but not as optimal.

I have spent some time trying to get the Tomcat Native library to work
under Fedora. I thought it might be a good thing if I shared my
experience in the matter.

A tomcat-native.tar.gz archive is packaged in the bin directory of the
tomcat binary and I guess it probably is straightforward to install
the library from this package, but the deployment model that I am
using is such that there is no compiler on the machine where Tomcat is
installed. I had to build an RPM in order to install the Tomcat Native
library on the machine. As pointed out by Jonas Pasche, the SPEC file
that is delivered with version 1.1.7 of Tomcat Native library is
broken, and I had to fix it before being able to get the RPM to build.
Look at http://jonaspasche.com/patches/tcnative-1.1.7-bugfixes.patch
for a description of the required changes.

After I installed the APR and the Tomcat Native RPMs, Tomcat was still
showing the info message. I found out looking at the list that I
needed to point Tomcat to where these libraries where stored. The
trick is to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to them, for instance, adding
this line to catalina.sh:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/lib
and ensuring LD_LIBRARY_PATH environement varaible is visible Tomcat.

That still didn't fix the problem completely. I figured after running
some tests that Tomcat was looking for a libtcnative-1.so file, but
the RPM installed libtcnative-1.so.0. After I created a
libtcnative-1.so softlink that pointed back to libtcnative-1.so.0,
Tomcat loaded the native library. There are some changes to do in the
server.xml file (for instance the SSLCertificateFile parameter needs
to be configured). See
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/apr.html for details on the
parameters.

Martin