I have Tomcat 5.5.17 on Win XP (personal localhost development server).

I installed a webapp as app.war.

Then developed some applications in localhost:8080/app/ (leaving the app.war
in webapps directory)

Then (later) I manually deleted the app.war (which I thought was now
redundant).

But .. after this and restarting the server .. the developed webapps were
also gone!!  Hosed.

I'm fairly sure in earlier tomcat installations I could safely delete the
app.war file deployed in webapps directory and the installed webapp
directory structure (main app + sub files) remained intact.

Have I blundered badly?  Are the lost webapps non-recoverable from anywhere
(nothing in Recycle bin)?