Try and put this carol.properties in jakarta-tomcat/common/classes

Start carol.properties
# JNDI (Protocol Invocation)
carol.protocols=jrmp

# Local RMI Invocation
carol.jvm.rmi.local.call=true

# do not use CAROL JNDI wrapper
carol.start.jndi=false

# do not start a name server
carol.start.ns=false

# Naming Factory
carol.jndi.java.naming.factory.url.pkgs=org.apache.naming

End carol.properties

Then restart.

If you are using Java 1.5+ you will need to recompile carol.

Good Luck