oliver,

sorry, j_user_name was just a typo in my post.

sure, the parameter is j_username, and as you can see in the logs,
it's read properly from the form by j_security_check.

f.y.i., this is the form, which actually is working on our dev-machine
but not in our production-environment:

    <form method="post" action="j_security_check">
      <tbody>
type="text"/></td>
type="password"/></td>
      </tbody>
</form>

btw., we tarred the whole tomcat-dir from the machine where the
installation is running and moved it 1:1 onto the production-machine,
to no avail.

meanwhile i believe it's a either bug in j_security_check or the
mysql-connector (although we've checked version 3 and 5).

tomorrow we'll try to find a copy of the j-mysql-connector version 4
since we're also running mysql 4.1.11, but i don't think that this
will help.

we will also set up a memory-realm to verify that basically the
installation is working (i bet my bottom penny that it will do with a
memory-realm), then it comes down to the database (my suspicion is,
that the jdbc-driver might have problem with the 64bit-environment).

if any of you guys has an idea of how to debug j_security_check (i.e.
the package and class, where it's implemented), i'd appreciate any
information: i would then try to include some more log-information
there which hopefully might help to track the error down.

cheers

greg
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2